As much as I love the city and everything it means to me, there just something about stepping out on that deck and seeing San Antonio stretched out before me that tugs at my heart strings. We get great views in New York City but they are very different views. Beautiful, but just not the same. There's nothing like a Texas sky on a spring day.
One of the things I was looking forward to the most was seeing the bluebonnets. Turns out we had two lone flowers in our own backyard. I was really excited haha so I took like five pictures of just these two flowers. Every kid born and raised anywhere near the Texas hill country has that classic pictures of themselves as a small child sitting in a field of Texas bluebonnets. If you were anything like me, you were secretly picking one of those bluebonnets as you were sitting there smiling waiting for your mom or dad to finish the roll of film. Ah, the days of film... now I'm getting nostalgic.

I can't tell you how psyched I was when I found out this house has a hammock. I could spend all day laying in that hammock, reading and loving the Texas sun. This is what I got to look up at the whole time I was laying out there. Absolute heaven. It makes me want to be a kid again - outside all day climbing trees, running around places where I wasn't allowed to be running around, generally making all sorts of trouble. I didn't realize how good I had it with all of my summer, winter and spring breaks. I think I'd go back to college just so I would have an excuse to take those long vacations back home.
I can't tell you how psyched I was when I found out this house has a hammock. I could spend all day laying in that hammock, reading and loving the Texas sun. This is what I got to look up at the whole time I was laying out there. Absolute heaven. It makes me want to be a kid again - outside all day climbing trees, running around places where I wasn't allowed to be running around, generally making all sorts of trouble. I didn't realize how good I had it with all of my summer, winter and spring breaks. I think I'd go back to college just so I would have an excuse to take those long vacations back home.
Of course, I got to see my wonderful family while I was home! I miss them so much when I'm gone, and I don't get to see them nearly as often as I would like to. I have to admit - although if my 15-year-old self heard me say this she'd probably laugh in my face - I miss my little brother when I'm gone! He's all grown up and I'm not sure when that happened! Look at us!
We make a pretty handsome pair of Thurman kids, if I do say so myself.
It's so strange to have one part of your heart back home and the other part halfway across the country. I never thought I would find two places that would fit me so well in my lifetime. I have two homes and both of them are so much a part of me and who I am today that I can't picture myself without either of them. How does that happen? I guess you could say I have two loves of my life right now - Texas and New York City.
So what's a Texas girl in the big city to do? What's a city girl in Texas to do? I'm still working on that.

1 comment:
When are you coming home again?!?! I always miss you!
Post a Comment