Monday, May 18, 2009

ONE YEAR

Tomorrow is my one year anniversary of working at CNBC. I almost can't believe it's already been a year! A year since I graduated, a year since I moved into my apartment, a year since I started working for Squawk on the street, a year since the Dow was above 12,000. . . ouch haha.

The market may have had a, let's just say, less than stellar year, but I gotta say - I kicked some ass. My bosses respect me and know that I am good at what I do. I got hired as staff. . . in the middle of a recession and a hiring freeze. . . I'm not bragging because I don't want to jinx myself or bring the wrath of Karma down on me, but I'm pretty damn proud of myself for that!

All of that being said, and taken into account, I need to get something off of my chest. Since when did it become intimidating or strange or selfish for a woman, or any person for that matter, to put their career first? I have no commitments right now, which some may see as a negative aspect of my life, but I actually see as an opportunity. I am in my early 20's. This is my chance to be selfish and do whatever I want with my life and my career. If I don't do that now, when am I supposed to do it? I have worked my ass off for five years in order to get myself where I am today. I went to class, while working a part time job, while interning 2-3 days a week, AND while having a social life. Why do people think I would sacrifice all of that or settle for something less? Why should I?

I know this probably all seems like it's coming out of left field, but I've been encountering a lot of people, men and women, who for some reason think that after all of that hard work, after everything I've put myself through, that I should just give it up. I'm sorry, but that is not an option for me.

I will not be the girl who gives up everything for a man because he feels intimidated by my success. Look, I'm not saying I'm some powerhouse career woman. . . yet. I'm not. Hell, on the corporate ladder in the world of NBC News, I'm about as low as you can get, but I'm clawing my way up, that's for sure. Any man who wants to be with me should respect that. He should admire that. He should be proud of the fact that I am a strong and independent woman who wants to share my life with him. Because, in the end, that's all I really want. I want a man to want to share his life with me, and want me to share mine with him. If I'm going to respect him for the successful man that he is, he should respect me for the successful woman I am. And if he can't do that, if my career threatens him or his masculinity or whatever, then I guess he's not the right guy for me.

I never thought I'd be the girl spouting "feminist ideals" or whatever you might call it, but I guess I never encountered people that expected me to do less than my best because I'm a woman. I want to share my life with someone, I want him to be proud of me and be proud to be with me. When I find the man who can do that for me then I know he's the right one. And I will be the best girlfriend/fiance/wife EVER. Just sayin'. . .

No comments: