Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Johanna Thurman Has Strong Feelings for Advil Liquigels

I am a New York Magazine fanatic. I live for their weekly Gossip Girl reality index, the Daily Intel is the only New York gossip column I read (though I've been thinking I should get into Page 6), and they documented the best bars in the city seperated by genre. That in itself deserves a hearty round of applause.

Every week they interview a New Yorker (socialite, celebrity, business tycoon, etc.) and ask them the same 21 questions. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never be an important enough inhabitant of the city of New York for New York Magazine to ask me these 21 questions. It's terribly sad, I know. So I've decided to answer them myself. . . because I can. Take that New York Magazine!

Name: Johanna Thurman
Age: 23
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Occupation: News Associate, CNBC's Squawk on the Street (Weekdays 9am-11am ET)

Who's your favorite New Yorker, living or dead, real or fictional?
I'd have to go with Holly Golightly. Cliche or not, she's stylish, graceful, iconic and aloof in all the right ways. Plus, she stands outside Tiffany's with cart coffee and a pastry and still looks fabulous.


What's the best meal you've eaten in New York?
It's a toss up between the restaurant in the bottom of La Esquina and Mama Mexico. Both on the expensive side but SO worth it.


In one sentence, what do you actually do all day in your job?
I help produce a 2-hour live business news show every day while keeping up with Perez, Dlisted and Facebook.


Would you still live here on a $35,000 salary?
I'm living here on less than that RIGHT NOW.


What's the last thing you saw on Broadway?
In The Heights. A-MA-ZING. Hands down, best show on Broadway. I've seen it 3 times, which is kind of embarassing but if you've seen it, you understand.


Do you give money to panhandlers?
I usually don't, but if they have a clever sign, sometimes I give in.


What's your drink?
No matter where I am, vodka tonic.


How often do you prepare your own meals?
Do Lean Cuisines and Hamburger Helper count?


What's your favorite medication?
I have very strong feelings for Advil Liquigels.


What's hanging above your sofa?
Um... air? My sofa isn't against a wall. I'll let you ponder that one for a while.


How much is too much to spend on a haircut?
On just a cut- $75. Although, if I could have my hairdresser from home up here I'd probably pay more than that to let her cut anything she wanted.


When's bedtime?
Depends on what's on TV.


Which do you prefer, the old Times Square or the new Times Square?
I never saw the old Times Square, but the new Times Square gives me ulcers and induces near nervous breakdowns. WHY must they walk so SLOW????


What do you think of Donald Trump?
I think he should come to the Squawk Box set next time instead of calling in on the phone like every other time. It's not lik he's that important or anything.


What do you hate most about living in New York?
It renders umbrellas completely useless.


Who is your mortal enemy?
Those puddles that appear after snow melts that look like they're frozen, but they're puddles. I've ruined so many good boots that way...


When's the last time you drove a car?
The last time I was in TX, so October I think.


How has the Wall Street crash affected you?
I work a lot more overtime (it's a business news thing) but I'm still in danger of getting laid off.


Times, Post, or Daily News?
Times online and on Sundays, CNBC/New York Magazine during the week.


Where do you go to be alone?
My tiny tiny bedroom.


What makes someone a New Yorker?
People have told me it takes living here 5 years. But I think if you find yourself walking halfway into a busy intersection in anticipation of crossing the street, you're pretty much there. Oh, and you have to have a strong and intense hatred of Times Square and parts of Midtown.

No comments: