Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Making History is Stressful

Today I was lucky enough to be in the control room for not just one live TV show, but two. One of those shows was prime time. That is HUGE - especially during an election like this one. Now that I've said what an honor it was to be involved in covering such a historic election and blah blah blah, can I just say... holy crap I'm glad it's over! The 7pm hour of the CNBC Election Coverage Special was the most terrifying, stressful and disorganized hour of my life. First of all, there were WAY too many people there and there were about 50 pages worth of graphics numbers, all of which I am responsible for putting in the rundown and making sure the TD (technical director) for the show has in his sequence. Yeah, that so did not happen. I had about 5 different people yelling at me for things I couldn't control, I couldn't plug into my headset so I couldn't hear the director which meant I missed chart cues which made everyone really happy. Basically, it was ridiculous. At one point, the Sr. Booking Producer looked over at me and goes, "Making TV is really simple. It really is. They're making this so much more complicated than it has to be." Thank you, Nick. Thank you. Now if only you could communicate that message to the other 10 people in the control room yelling, we might be able to get something done.

While this segment was going on:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=919043327

That's when I was getting yelled at by multiple people, the graphics weren't working, I couldn't hear the director and everyone else was yelling at each other. The shit was hitting the fan. Let's hope it looked clean on-air.

No comments: